Health > CGI Healthy Life | By CGI Holistic Wellness Center
However, nearly 600,000 people still die every year, suffering from this illness. It is important that you are aware of things that contribute to heart disease as well as what you can do for your heart to prevent this from happening to you.
It is a well-known fact that the #1 leading cause of death for both males and females in the U.S is heart disease. As people have become more aware of the danger of heart disease, the rate of death caused by it is declining. However, nearly 600,000 people still die every year, suffering from this illness. It is important that you are aware of things that contribute to heart disease as well as what you can do for your heart to prevent this from happening to you.
- Fruits and veggies
- Fiber-rich food (Whole Grains)
- Fish Oil (Salmon, Blue Mackerel, Sardines, Tuna) – Read about fish containing high mercury and do not consume more than recommended.
- Foods containing good fats (Avocados, Nuts, Olive oil, Flaxseed, Soy…)
- Drink enough water
Things to reduce or avoid
- Sodium: Do not consume more than recommended amount
- Saturated or trans fats (Fat cuts of meat, cookies, donuts, muffins, cakes, cream, cheese, fried food)
- Added sugar (Soda, Sweetened Drinks, Sugary Snacks, Sugar)
- Processed meats
- Dairy with high fat (Whole Milk, Cream)
- Walking: Walking 30 minutes a day can do a lot for you. If you want more intense exercise, walk a little faster. You should not run for a long time especially if you have any knee problems.
- Swimming: Swimming is another great cardio exercise with minimal impact on your joints. Aqua aerobics are another great alternative.
- Yoga & Pilates: great exercise for your overall health and wellness.
- Get enough sleep: 6 ~ 8 hours of sleep per day
- Quit smoking
- Drink less alcohol
- Do activities that release stress and help recharge you
- Keep track of what you eat on a daily basis
There is a lot of information online regarding heart health. Please take some time to research how to improve your heart and your overall health. If you have any health or medical issues, it is recommended that you consult a doctor before trying anything that this article suggests.