Friday, November 2, 2012

Seeing things as they really are

By Louise Jensen
 
My son had some homework on Albert Einstein to complete over the weekend. 
 
While doing some research, we came across this Einstein quote “Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts”. 
 
That really struck a chord with me. I think I spent way too long trying to conform, to fit in, be accepted, to be ‘normal’.
 
When I first became a wheelchair user I didn’t feel I fit in anymore - I felt invisible and desperate to be heard. That’s when I made an effort to examine what I really felt, not take the opinions of others, including health care practitioners as the way it should be and the absolute truth.
 
I decided, and it was a conscious decision, to always trust my own opinions, see my own vision, speak from my heart and be true to myself.
 
It can be one of the hardest things to go against the grain - to question an opinion and draw your own conclusions.
 
It can leave you feeling emotionally naked and vulnerable.
 
We are all born awesomely authentic but how many of us lose this trait along the way?
 
To carve out a new path, rather than blindly following others can be stupidly scary at first but, after a period, we no longer look for validation from others.
 
We know absolutely what we think, feel and believe and life takes on a richer, more fulfilling quality.
 
Start to evaluate situations in your life.
 
Do they hold inevitable conclusions? How do YOU, not your friends and family, really feel about them?
 
If possibilities were infinite and limitless, what would you want to achieve?
 
We can be truly innovative and it is then, and only then, when we are safe and secure in the knowledge of our own being that we can see things as they really are, not as we are told they should be.
 
Then with an open and loving heart we can truly be the change we want to see in the world and make a difference, however big or small.
 
That my friends is totally liberating.
 
 
Louise is responsible for a wonderful website called The Happy Starfish. Take a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment