Monday, October 15, 2012

LIVING WELL: Where's the best classroom?

I heard this in passing the other day: the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.

We’d all like to believe that we have all the answers and require little guidance from those who’ve come before us, but we’d be wrong.

Some of the greatest lessons and morals I’ve learned have come from my grandparents especially. Hearing their struggles and sacrifices has provided me with an appreciation of life I don’t think I would have attained on my own.

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t have all the answers and often seek the advice of those far more traveled than myself before making a decision. Some might see this as a refusal to be independent. I look at it as insurance. After all, why would anyone want to repeat the mistakes of the past?

While many of us left the classroom a long, long time ago, it’s important to remember that we’re never done learning from some of the most experienced teachers life has to offer us.

No comments:

Post a Comment