Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Everyday Thoughts from an Everyday Person


Kristen Sommer
Healer, Yogi Instructor, Massage Therapist, Everyday Person
 
Today, I sat near a window, preparing for a session, when I looked outside.

The sky was a pearl gray and the lush green trees and bushes that surrounded the window, like a swiss cheese cave, seemed to pop out and say hello. The colors were alive and nature was alive.

At that time, I found that I was able to relax and just breathe. It was one of those breaths where you could release all of your stress and just feel good about life and how truly beautiful it is.

Kristen Sommer
What made the scene more unique, and perhaps more lively than normal, was that it had begun to rain. Earlier in the day I had heard a hurricane warning, so I was prepared for slow drivers, accidents and a general malcontent in the people that I would encounter during the day.

For those few minutes by the window though, I couldn’t help but wonder, “How beautiful is rain?” Rain nourishes the earth to give us fresh water and healthy crops. Rain washes away dirt, dust and pollen from all of our outside things. Rain is something life giving. Yet how often do we take rain for granted?

For as long as I can remember, I have always loved the rain. As a child, I would eagerly run outside, throw my arms open wide and spin in circles as the rain washed over me in its cool, crisp way. I would laugh wildly as I ran through and into puddles - taking delight in the easily washable mess that I was making.

I would squeal at the worms which came out from the earth and run away from them as if they were monsters ready to eat me. I always remembered feeling alive, refreshed and ready to take on the world (all of it from stuffed animals, to my family…except worms).

When it rains now, I always stop to listen. If in my car, I lower the radio, tune out the ‘everyday’ noise that I make to distract me and just listen to the natural sounds that were considered music for ages before I was created.

There is something soothing in the rain if we take but a moment to see past the unimportant inconveniences it is blamed for creating.

Just after my session, someone said to me: “Some people walk in the rain. Others get wet.”

I walk in the rain with a smile on my face.

Do you walk in the rain, or are you a person who simply gets wet? I hope that you can see the rain in a new light, and take joy from something simple (and free!).

No comments:

Post a Comment